Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Punch Rare Corojo

Punch Rare Corojo, according to them, is a rare cigar. I have been able to buy this cigar in almost any cigar shop I have been in so I am unsure what categorizes rare these days. Due to its reddish wrapper leaves that are only grown in limited quantities these will eventually run out so maybe that is what makes it rare. The 2005 release of this cigar sports 5 sizes, including a box presses version that I smoked recently.

Rare Corojo cigars are made with extra rich, dark Sumatra wrapper leaves that are grown in the mountains of Ecuador. It is blended with tobacco from several different regions of Central America. Punch is a premium cigar, and I have really enjoyed most of the products I have tried, but this review is on the Rare Corojo.

Several months ago I was given one of these as a gift at a corporate party, where a band I sing with was performing. It was the Double Corona and the first Punch I ever smoked. This cigar was what I expected a cigar to taste like before I started smoking cigars. It had a dark earthy flavor and you could taste a slight sweetness that reminded me of my uncles Redman he chewed when I was a kid. Nice burn, good draw, and an easy finish made me go purchase several more of these.

Recently I purchased what I think would be called the Pita. It was a 6 and some change, box pressed version of the Rare Corojo. While the taste was as good as expected, I was unable to finish this cigar because of the draw. It just would not allow me to smoke it even after several attempts at solving the problem. As a final resort I punched a long piece of metal about the size of a 12 penny nail completely through it, but to no avail.

I can't rule out this cigar over one bad one, but when you pay $8 or $9 dollars for a cigar you do have certain expectations. My recommendation would be stay away from the box pressed ones for now. I have been told is a process that takes great skill to do correctly so maybe they just need to perfect their process. I will be smoking another Punch Rare Corojo, but not that size.

No comments: