Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Carlos Torano Signature Series


When I first chose to purchase one of these fine cigars it was a recommendation of Amar who happens to own the best cigar shop in Orange County, CA. He had just gotten these in and had not had a chance to smoke them himself. However, they were receiving extremely high ratings from everyone who had smoked them. 9.5 out of 10, low to mid 90’s were just some of the many numbers these smokes were producing. They retailed for around $5.50 so I decided I would give it a try.

My first impression of this cigar was incredible. The taste is exceptional. The Carlos Torano Signature is a medium to full bodied cigar with an earthy flavor with some coffeesque notes. It is surrounded by a Brazilian Maduro wrapper and sweet, creamy finish that made me think, “Hey this is worth another shot.” For flavor I have to give this cigar a 90 at least. It just tastes good. I immediately went out and purchased 5 of these in various sizes. While the taste remained the same for all 5, the quality did not. I understand that I may have run into some flook of shipping, but of the 5 I purchased only two were consistent all around, and they did not all come from the same box. One had such a hard draw that it couldn’t be smoked even after using a tool to punch a hole through the cigar. Another came completely apart, and the third was wrapped so loosed and burned so hot it became hard to finish. Let me stress that I believe trying one of these cigars is worth the risk. Again, they taste great, but who knows about the consistency. I am sure someone out there will call me crazy and say that I did something to mess them up, but I know how to keep cigars. Overall Carlos Torano makes a fine cigar, but I didn’t have great luck with these.

UPDATE: Since posting this original post almost a year ago I have retried the Signature. I have had much better luck with them, and the taste is still fantastic. Maybe they worked out the kinks.

No comments: